Do you feel like you are spinning your wheels with your financial plan? In this episode of Financial Clarity for Doctors, Corey and Rachelle talk about how it can be challenging to see improvement in your finances because those improvements can be slow. When trying to view progress, look over a longer period. And remember, that progress can be very challenging when you are still in training.
Change is often gradual:
- Your physical health doesn’t improve overnight. Medical advances don’t happen overnight. We shouldn’t expect to become millionaires overnight either.
- To see progress:
- Calculate your net worth over time and compare today to two, five, or even ten years in the past. This will look better once you reach that attending phase of your career.
- Things that improve your net worth include:
- Building your emergency reserves
- Paying off debt
- Retirement savings/investing
Remember to focus on what you control. Investment returns can have a huge impact on your overall progress year-to-year, but what you are saving (and spending) matters a lot as well.
For more financial planning tips from Corey and Rachelle, find them on social media!
LinkedIn: @CoreyJanoff and @RachelleVanderzanden; Instagram: @CoreyJanoff and @VanderzandenRachelle; and Twitter: @CoreyJanoffCFP and @RachelleFinance
Discussions in this show should not be construed as specific recommendations or investment advice. Always consult with your investment professional before making important investment decisions. Securities offered through Registered Representatives of Cambridge Investment Research, Inc., a broker-dealer, member FINRA/SIPC. Advisory services offered through Cambridge Investment Research Advisors, Inc., a Registered Investment Adviser. Finity Group, LLC and Cambridge are not affiliated. Cambridge does not offer tax or legal advice.